One of the biggest factors for me when compiling inspiration for my closet is practicality. I have a relatively small budget for clothes, (my only job being babysitting every other week or so :) so I've learned to mix + match my clothes. It's really fun thinking up new ways to use your old stuff and incorporate a few new things. Also, one of my clothing rules is that I must be able to wear each piece with more than two other pieces. This allows me to have tons of options without having tons of clothes! Here are some reasons I chose what I chose for my color palette...
- Mustard – Mustard is one of those colors that just seems to say fall. I often tip my hat to the pretty leaves during this time of year. Mustard is one of those leaf-y colors. :) I love it because it can give a neutral outfit a pop of color without overwhelming it. I also like it because it goes well with my other favorite colors: navy, sailor stripes & denim.
- Navy – Navy is one of my top most-worn colors. It's as practical as black and can be dressed up or down.
- Denim / Chambray – Denim is another fall staple for me. There are sooo many ways to wear it – shirt, pants, jacket, the list goes on. Chambray seems like a more polished twist on the old staple; it can also be worn fancy or casual.
- Leather – I like to use leather as an accent, whether it's a skinny belt over a top, a pretty purse, or boots. I especially like the caramel-colored leather that's becoming more popular. A little leather accessory can take an outfit to the next level.
- Gingham – I didn't really think of gingham as a closet item until recently when I found that awesome dress up there and found this outfit here. (similar dress here). Now I can't wait to get some in my closet! If you go with the black + white version, it's also very practical. ;) That black and white one up there would look so cute with a mustard sweater over it.
- Nautical – One of the things I've fallen in love with this year are sailor stripes. You know, the white and navy stripes? I absolutely loooove it! I'm super excited to work on adding more to my closet.